Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Part of Something Bigger

Happy 80th birthday, Mickey Mouse! It was a very Steamboat Mickey day today; not only is it his birthday where he debuted as Steamboat Willie, but it is also my one year anniversary with the Disney company, in which everyone celebrating their one year gets a Steamboat Mickey pin. On top of all that, I helped Steamboat Mickey perform today in the Fantasmic show! :D

I cannot believe that it is already past the middle of November. October seemed to move slowly, and now November is striving to make up the difference. November is also having a difficult time making up its mind whether or not to be hot or cold. Two days ago, the weather was a humid 80 degrees. Now, at night and with the wind chill, it feels around 20 degrees. Florida has definitely "wussified" me, meaning that as soon as it gets below 70, I break out my jackets and pile blankets on my bed. :P

Work hasn't actually been crazy busy the last few weeks, which has allowed me time to simply rest and be still in God's presence. One thing that has been driven home to me is the sheer joy of being a part of something bigger. One of the reasons that I love working for Disney Entertainment is that I may be working with the Big Cheese himself, who is known the world over, yet Disney is not about me. Disney is internationally known for wholesome family entertainment, for promoting dreams, and for making dreams come true; showing up to work every day and loving on the guests is only my small part, but I know that I am part of something bigger. In the same vein, I can enjoy my life right now because I feel that I know this is where God wants me, here where I can shine brightly for Him however He wants to shine through me. Showing up every day and loving on the people I come across at work, church, and while running errands is only my small part, but I know I am part of something bigger, that of bringing glory and honor to my Savior, my best friend, my Abba. Joseph Campbell once said that "A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." May we all be heroes today and every day.

Another thing that seems to have risen to the surface of the grey fluff that floated into my head by accident (as Eeyore would say) is the idea of relationships. Not only is it humbling to be a part of something bigger, but it is also vital to reach past oneself into the life of another. I volunteer in the Junior High group at my church (and yes I'm about the same size as they are, although sometimes shorter) and thoroughly enjoy loving each one of them, especially the girls, all of whom I now consider as my "little sisters." Well, what's funny is that some of them seem to have taken a liking to me, and the blessing is that I have no idea why. I am sure that if it was something I was conscious of doing, I am afraid I would be tempted to take the credit for their apparent love, yet all glory goes to God! When discussing this conundrum with a friend, I believe he put it well when he said that they were not drawn to me, but rather to God shining through me. I like that! I never really had a mentor myself, although I wanted one, simply to love me, guide me through life's challenges, and encourage me in my walk with God. Now that I have found that I'm in a position to mentor, I pray that God would indeed shine through me into the lives of not only my "little sisters," but also all with whom I share relationships. My God is a relational God. Hallelujah! :D

Now that I've written enough to make up for not having written in over a month, I do believe I shall close and go find some warm blankets and my cat Elphaba to snuggle up with and fall blissfully asleep. :D May God's warmth shine in your hearts this holiday season!

No comments: